Software

Moderator: Senshi Muyo

Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

Software

Post by Leila Dark Jurai »

As many of you no doubt know I love free software, both free as in freedom and free as in beer. Actually, especially free as in beer. Therefore I am composing a list of things which may be interesting for those others of you who like free things. Everything here is free (as in beer) so I hope yall enjoy.

GimpShop The Gnu Image Manipulation Program (GIMP) given a photoshop-like UI. It's pretty, and from what I understand, it works.

Celestia Celestia is a space simulation. Interesting stuff

OpenOffice.org Free office suite. Often compared to MS Office, it misses some power features but is really all the office suite you really need. 2.0 Beta 2, out now, is awesome, and the release version should be coming soon.

Audacity A free aucio editing utility.

AbiWord AbiWord is another open source word processing program. I haven't used it myself (I use OOo, listed above) but I hear it's ok.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

More stuff

Firefox 1.5 Beta 1 The newest beta of the FireFox web browser.

Firefox 1.0 The "stable" version of the FireFox web browser. I use 1.5 Beta

Thunderbird E-Mail Client From the people who make FireFox, Thunderbird e-mail client. If you're sick of Outlook, and want features it doesn't have, like filtering out spam, this may do the trick for you. After using it, I can truely say I am impressed with its ability to get the spam out.

VideoLan Client A program which can play videos and DVDs on multiple platforms.
Last edited by Leila Dark Jurai on Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

Even More Things..

POVRAY Persistance Of Vision Raytracer a tool for creating high-quality 3d graphics

Flight Gear An open source Flight Simulator. I played with it, and didn't like it much as I don't do simulators. But it gets good reviews, even compared with MS's flight sim.

Frozen Bubble Reasonably fun puzzle type game, get the second, easier Windows port.

Atomic Tanks Scorched Earth clone, multiple platform. Loved this game back in the day.

DOSBox DOSBox, used for running old DOS games which aren't compatible with, say, Windows XP or other operating systems.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

MemTest86 Memtest86 is thorough, stand alone memory test for x86 architecture computers. BIOS based memory tests are a quick, cursory check and often miss many of the failures that are detected by Memtest86.

XCircuit Primarily for Linux, this circuit design tool can be used in Windows under Cygwin

Eraser Eraser is a program to erase sensitive data by writing over your HD several times.

MiKTeX TeX is a typesetting program, as opposed to a word processor, which is used in the production of long, structured documents (especially those which contain mathematics). MiKTeX is an implementation thereof for Windows. Can be used with LyX.

Blender Blender is an open-source 3d graphics creation program.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

More things. I don't know if I made it clear, but these are ALL quality programs, free of any sort of spyware, adware, etc. I either use them myself, have used them, or would use them if I needed to.

PuTTy PuTTy is an open source client for Telnet and SSH

WinDirStat Great program for finding out just what's eating your hard drive space. Awesome graphical display of just where all that space is going.

FileZilla Open source FTP client. I use Bulletproof FTP but if I didn't I'd use this.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

I'm running out of things here but let's see what I can come up with now anyway. I'm really struggling to come up with things now. I probably won't be adding more after this, but if I come across anything I'll add it.

GAIM GAIM is a multi-network IM client. I personally prefer Trillian, despite the fact that it is closed source and Pro is a pay version, as some portions of the GAIM code have been neglected for a while now.

HTTrack HTTrack is a website downloader program. Useful for getting the contents of entire websites.

PDFCreator PDFCreator is a program to create PDF's from most any application.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

Now for some non-open-source free programs

CD BurnerXP Pro A free CD/DVD Burning program. Not open source.

RealAlternative An alternative to RealPlayer for playing RealMedia files. Check out QuickTime Alternative on the same site. Plays the files, without the bullshit
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

If yer gonna post at least put in the URL's.

DVD Shrink DVD Shrink

DVDFab Express is pay software so shouldn't be included in this list.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

7-zip An archiving tool, I prefer WinRAR myself, as I had some problems with 7-zip not working.

CDex A CD ripper, MP3 encoder and an analog sound recorder all rolled into one

GraphCalc A Graphical Scientific Calculator.

VirtuaWin I don't know I haven't used this one yet. Apparently it can create up to 9 virtual desktops.