Repairing Power Armor

Moderator: Senshi Muyo

Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

Repairing Power Armor

Post by Leila Dark Jurai »

OK I'm trying to get a picture of what is required to repair power armor, since Corsche's seems to get damaged a lot.

What I'm really wanting you to do is whittle it down into a few package deals, and give me an idea of how bad it would set us back. Like we don't have proper facilities to repair it, but maybe narrow it down to a field repair kit, basic repair kit, deluxe repair kit, major repair kit (field being the most basic, and major being the best) or something like that. I just like having things nice and neat like that.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

Well it simply doesnt work that way there is no "Repair Kit 1" "Repair Kit 2: Better than Repiar Kit1" options. Just like there is "Car repair kit 1" "Car repair kit 2: Better than Repair Kit1". Think of power armor like a machine (because it is). Think of it like a tank. Its got a lot of gears that move around, its got a thick armor like plating on the outside, it has inbuilt computers, wiries and walves.

What do you need to repair it? Like a car it depends what was done to it. Simply dents (even major ones) are litlte more than panel beating (granted with plasteel this is diffcult and over a long time could lower the quaility of the metal). More damage might even require the replacing some gears and wiring. What do you need to do this? Pretty much a tool kit you'd use to do this to anything else. Its really no different to working on a jet panel and rewiring it.

Now it gets more complicated if one of the little computers is damaged or destroyed. First off it may need replacing, but worst of all reprogramming, again this isnt a challenge it hooks into a computer simple enough.

As you can see, its nothing high tech, no "Power Armor only repair kits" needed. The problem is really the stuff. Not all machinics are fimilar with the wiring of a power armor unit, or the programming codes required. This is where the biggest mistakes happen.

Now to get power armor operating 100% and to do maintence (not repairs) You'll want an advanced computer station to run all sorts of tests on the armor, test it through extreme conditions etc, not to mention to see if it works right. Repair is easy, seeing if the repair worked is harder. (or easier if your unit doesnt move)
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

However you stated in RP that the mechanics couldn't repair it properly due to the lack of proper tools. I was wanting to know what the tools were that they needed, so they could repair it properly.

If it isn't so much the tools as the skills, then we need something altogether different - a guide to armor repair.

And forgive me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't most Techoren computers be considered powerful? Considering that they're probably to the point where there likely isn't THAT much difference between low and high end computers save for accessories.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

low end computers sit in joe's house, high end computers sit in a starcruiser. There would be a pretty big difference. To "Fully repair" Corsches power armor they'd have to pull it apart, in which case its nice to have delicate tools, they'd have to put in replacment parts, here its nice to have a part custom made for the armor, you dont need to have it done that way but its nice. Then you test to make sure it works and do adjustments for it.

This base doesnt have spare parts either. They were capable of fixing it, but they dont have the means to make power armor like an assembly plant and that makes it diffcult to repair it perfectly.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

However computer advancement is by its very nature limited. A standard computer, by the comparable technology level of the Techoren vs. our own, taking into consideration Moore's Law, would likely be on a scale nearing the absolute maximum possible as limited by the laws of physics, as we are expected to reach that point in 2020.

That means the truely high end computers would likely be quantum computers. It's rather hard to explain but I'll try. Quantum bits, or qubits, are similar to the bits in a normal computer system and are typically read by their particle spin. They're unique in that they can be in a state of superposition and represent 1, 0, and all the values in between at the same time. Further by entangling the atoms, qubits can become wired together and function as a whole. Confused yet? Let me simplify. They're not only faster, but they can do tremendous amounts of things simultaneously. And it's possible that we might live to see one in our lifetime. Maybe.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

Anyway I'm getting off topic. What I'm really needing is a list of what one would HAVE to have to fix Corsche's power armor. From what I get it isn't in too good of a shape so I'm going to start my list and see if I'm right or wrong

First off....
Computer System with Power Armor Interface
Power Armor Toolkit

Next...
Parts Kits. Basically standard groupings of parts as they are shipped out in the military. There'd probably be several, but not as many as there are individual parts, making it easier for the military to ship out packages of the most commonly needed parts with their units.

Oh and in your opinion do you think Corsche would be able to learn to fix his own armor? His character background I believe includes formal training in mechanical engineering, so it would seem that he would be able to understand how to repair it if he were presented with the appropriate texts on doing so.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

One, people shoudlnt get overly complex about the future, you quote to me theroatlicaly limits of computers and "possible maybes". Point is, we dont know, we just think. Leave the guess work out of this. You get to wrapped up in theores and laws in a fanstey and it gets tidous and boring. Its like having a 1500 page instruction manual writen in japense.

There is no such thing as a Power Armor tool kit. All you need is tools couple of working on the power armor. These same tools could be used on all sorts of other things, like Tanks or Jets. Why they'd seel "Tank Tool kit" "Jet Tool Kit" "Power Armor Tool Kit" is beyond me.

Yes Corsche can learn to fix some of his armor. But hes not an eletrction, hes not a computer programmer, Power Armor is more than just a lump of metal and sclupting. Its that POWER part that means everything.

Parts? Jesus christ i dont fucking know, what do you think i am? A Super genius couple of designing a real life working power armor suit so i can know how it works? I dont know.

Bolts, gears, thingies and do dads, thats what you need. High quaility wire to connec to the whats its, advanced power cell batteries and thing a mijigs. And most of all... plasteel platings.Evenutaly even plasteel can get to the point it anit what it use to be.