The Future of Nethilis

Moderator: Senshi Muyo

Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

The Future of Nethilis

Post by Leila Dark Jurai »

I am making this post to clarify our plans for Nethilis, as well as for discussion. Most of this has been discussed, however I'm not sure how far along these things are, or if any have been started.

Neth Commerce Center: A district of the current city of Neth, the commerce center is designed for financial institutions. At its heart is the Trade and Exchange Building, The remainder of the district will be either sold or leased to individual corporations related to trade and finance.

Poverty Fighting Measures: This should be well underway. Educational opportunities, scholarships and financial aid for higher education, drug rehabilitation. These are important measures that can be put into place against poverty. Also, the adoption and enforcement of building codes will allow us to improve upon the basic standard of living for the lower class.

Industrial City: We were in the planning phase of a new city, trying to find funding and laying out our plans. Where are we now?

Sarah should detail other developments since the last time I posted.

===Education System===

I've done some research on education and I think I've come up with a system.

Basic education through a certain age should be mandatory. Up to high school at least. At high school is where my plan begins. At that point. education is split up into at 3 basic track groups. The first is designed for those who are the highest achievers. It prepares one for the intellectual rigors of higher education. Classes are challenging, and those who can cut it will be provided financial aid to attend a university. The second track prepares students to go on to vocational schools. These students will be provided with the skills necessary for this class of work. Again, financial aid will be provided for those that need it. The third track is for those who will be employed immediately upon exiting school. Classes for this group will focus on preparing the student to immediately enter the work force. These students are your under-achievers.

An important function of this system is that it rewards the best and brightest, while at the same time preparing those who are not to enter the work force. This is important because, let's face it, some kids are just retards. It is important to note that the track should be reviewed twice a year (or more) for each student. That way, if someone is in the wrong track for them (too low or too high) they can be shifted to a level that suits them. Most importantly, school should be challenging for all. Many highly intelligent students have failed because they simply got bored.

Also, in terms of financial aid, this can take a variety of forms. The most costly are full scholarships and grants. These dont have to be paid back, so they should be given to those who show the most promise, and for things that will benefit society. Another is government-backed loans. In the US, you have to pay on them for 10 years, and if you make a good faith effort to make the payments, the loan is forgiven (note this is not true for some loans provided by corporations). Also, I'm open to corporations picking up the tab for some of it, either through tax-deductible philanthropy, or providing education for their future employees.