Promption of City Leaders

In Character Forum
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

Re: Promption of City Leaders

Post by Leila Dark Jurai »

<Leila>

We may not have enough money to build a city at this point, but we surely have the resources to begin planning. It will take time to designate a site and begin planning everything before any construction actually begins. Having Sara Cunning on from the start of planning may help make it a true center of industry.

So what do we have to provide for a new city? Well first off I want to build a dedicated industrial spaceport, with starship repair and production facilities to come later. But beyond that, what do we have? We are obligated to provide power, water, sewer, data, and a transportation network. We are likewise expected to provide schools, police, fire department, libraries, trash pickup, and social programs.

OK so how do we pay for it? My idea is the establishment of public benefit corporations. These would be run by people we appoint, but would be quasi-private in the way they are run. This allows them to take on their own debt, without directly affecting our government debt. People invest in them with the expectation that they will turn enough of a profit to pay it off without our intervention. These corporations could take over power, water, sewer, data, trash pickup, and public transportation. Perhaps even the spaceport could fall under one of these corporations. In this way, we avoid taking direct responsibility for the debt and can immediately begin work on building.

So that leaves the transportation network (roads), police, schools, fire department, libraries, and any social programs (which can range from programs for the poor to parks and recreation) that we decide to implement. It would be hard to monetize these things to turn a profit, so they'll have to be our direct responsibility.

Most other things that make a city, from normal housing, to factories, to warehouses would be built by private companies and individuals. So we don't have to worry about that, just the infrastructure that underpins it.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

<Wozzy> Your strategy sounds sound but I dont think its as easy as you suspect. People arnt going to invest in quasi private companys that only pay off their debt and dont turn a fat profit. Investors want to make money. At this point it maybe worth going private in whole, or simple own shares. Also the debt companies and goverments are willing to let us take on is a bit larger than some unknown company that was designed so the actual owner isnt responble.

In the case of Power, we can jsut connect them to the already existing grid. Honestly 3 power stations can handle four cities. It should be some time before power concerns return and we can look at what to do about that when.

Public transport tends to have to be supplied by us, because you want people to use it, you want it affordable, and its not often profitable. We could allow it to go private but when a city bus network is entirly private... that can have shocking results, still it is an option. Actually come to think about it, our public transport isnt really allt hat good...

The spaceport, first question, private or public. Effects a lot of things. Now the repair and future production facuilites are fine, just understand that only the smaller ships are built planetside. Nothing larger than a crusier gets built on a planet surface and ususualy these get built in space to. YOu certainly dont have dreadnaughts attempting a plantery landing.

As for money... we could consider selling the remaining 3 nukes.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

It seems we have agreed on Markus Devon for Zilandier and Ragnar Razorwind will be given police cheif. I'd like for us to make a quick decesion on the final two so we can appoint them and let them start doing their job.

I understand Kokaku is arranging the test of new potential leaders. I think Ikara and Leila or Halya should assist in accessing the results of this test and any follow up interviews. I've arranged with Ikara prepartion of the mock battlefield. The sooner we get these changes done with the sooner we can move forward.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

<Wozzy> Alright we've almost finished. We've settled on

Markus Devon - Zilandier and Commerece centre
Dylana Prestin - Shang'ilstar and Terraforming
Sara Cunning - Planning development and eventual lead of a yet unnamed city
Ragnar Razorwind - Nethilius's Police Cheif.

Just a note, Ragnar wanted into politics so is a little desappointed with this turn of events, however its still a step down from the fornt line demand of a Lt Commander, and given Neths terrible crime he has agreed to take the position.

That leaves us just with Neth. It seems after a serious discussion none of the remaining canditates where considered quiet what we where looking for. With a more defined list i've searched out some bigger boys. These guyus arnt cheap, half of them dont want the job for politications, their more like consultants in a way. You pay them money, they come, fix things up, work for a few years, then move on when no longer required.

Alric Gontiel - Over 65 years in the buisness Alric has achieved the reputation of a man who can make anything work. Basicly it tends to go like this. Colonists settle a somewhat hostile world. Things sour, the colony is lossing money, and likly in 10 to 15 years will have failed utterly. Paniced investors hire Alric and send him in. He uses his knowledge of terraforming to reduce or remove the hostile nature of local enviorment, and sets up a strong commerce or industrail base. He seems quiet talented in how he does this as each world has been unqiuly done. In some cases he creates tourist spots, like the now reknown pleasure world of Vidal Flora, in others industiral strongholds or corprate empires, a few cases trade centers. Hes recently finished with his last operation and is currently awaiting new offers.

Jerald Singale - This young Juraian is considered a rising talent among his race, and he even has done a little work for the Emperor himself. Jerald considers himself more a civil and social enginer than any sort of polication. The Jurai use him by bringing him in to "pretty up" a place, ususally a city or city sector. While a master at archeiture Jerald is also skillful at knowing how to great a beaitufl city that is also a bustling ecconamy. Places restructured by him tend to see econmaic growth, a flourishing improvent in commerce and a rise in the standard of living of the populace. Unfortuantly Jeralds changes tend to be expensive. The best ususaly is.

Demora Howler - A former sub ruler of Aijur, under the demoness Mizira, Demora later moved on to co develope a new Dark Juraian farming colony. Unfortuantly part dark jurai, part demon, Demora shares many similar traits with Rohr, as a result the Dark Jurai of the colony world grew increasingly cold to her and Demora was forced to move on as she began to fear for her safty. Shes got a lot of experience with farming operations, and her knowledge of magic construction would allow us to produce some mystical artfacts within our city. Unfortauntly we run the seame problem here, she looks Rohr.

Sithar Eei - A Neoshikana of hive Aseru Sithar is a born hive constructer. The Neoshikana, being part humaniod, and part insectiod, have had a hard time finding their identies, As such they are now branching out into other communities. Sithar knows how to make alien, but wonderous designs, i've seen some of the images, you can be assured it is quiet breath taking. Unfortuantly shes still learning about strange concepts like commerce and industry. Like all shikana though, shes a natural for terraforming.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

Post by Leila Dark Jurai »

<Leila>

I think either Jerald Singale or Alric Gontiel would be excellent for the position.

Alric has the advantage of experience, he's been doing this a long time, and he's good at what he does.

While he is potentially the more expensive, I actually like the fact that Jerald is Juraian. Hiring him would give the impression that we are truly a world of the Alliance, not just Dark Jurai or Techoren.

What does everyone else think?
Kaosu

Post by Kaosu »

<Kokaku>

Jerald Singale seems interesting. Some of the others would be nice to have if we had a problem or wanted a feature added to to our cities

I'll cast my vote in with Jerald Singale.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

<Wozzy> Right just finalising and summing up what we all likely know.

Markus Devon will head up Zilandier and we incharge of the development of our fininacal centre.

Dylana Prestin will be incharge of Shang'ilstar growth and deal with plantery terraforming operations

Jerald Singale will be hired to head up Neth and will be entirly responable for the growth and resturcture of Neth itself.

Sara Cunning serves in an advisory role for the developemnt of a yet unnamed city, which she will later head.

Ragnar Razorwind will be taking on the position of Police Cheif. Something that will really deserv a round of appluse if he can reduce the crime rate.

On the military side.

Devon Prescott has been choosen as the new commander of the Nethilius forces, he will stand with the rank of Sgt. General, and Ikara will begin preping him immedaility.

Ryan Ryneild (i dont got my notes here for the exact name) has been offered the position of Cheit of Intellgence, or some simlar named title.

Isebella has been offered the position of second in command (rank undefined), of the Nethilius forces, although i could be a bit wrong on this one.

Symon has been offered the position of Cheif of Security for Elderus Tower, so will be responable for heading up the I.R.I.S. unit.

I believe that covers everything, if their are any questions, things i got wrong, or changes that need to be made feel free to comment here.