RPG Improvements

Moderator: Senshi Muyo

Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

RPG Improvements

Post by Leila Dark Jurai »

We had earlier talked about some improvements that could be made to the RP. This thread is for the posting of those suggestions. A few of those follow.

- Infrastructure. Things like power plants. What I'm wondering is what type of power standard does Nethilis use. Dark Jurai and Techoren tech use different types of energy, and one probably needs an adapter to interchange them. Extending this somewhat, I'd like to know what sorts of power plants are out there. Communications is another thing. Does Dark Jurai or Techoren tech underpin the network on Nethilis?

- Drugs. Nethilis has a drug problem. So what drugs are out there?

- The Jurai. The Jurai need some weapons too!

I'll continue later.
Mystic

Re: RPG Improvements

Post by Mystic »

Indeed similar thoughts have recently crossed my mind. In the case of power its good to remember that energy is energy, though yes converters are required and depending on the energy type, the amount and for whom really effects how expensive this can be.

Disclaimber: All that follows was writen late at night and is subject to change. The Netomi plant for example maybe to close ot the Techoren super plant. However at this time i am happy with the designs.

Techoren focus on the production of energy, aiming for high energy. High energy is often a very potent though refined sort of energy, thus Techoren systems tend to use less "power" since 1 unit of high energy is worth more than another race standard unit. Dark Jurai power is more psionic in nature, though to say it is psionic directly would be misleading.

Techoren have a wide variety of power plants, some echo friendly, some not, its a shallow race that seldom gives a damn for the enviroment, none the less many of hte Techorenmethods are quiet enviormental, mostly because its more profitable long term.

An example of a simple low scale Techoren factory is Pyrosinth Plant. These things are basicly super furences designed to burn syintheticly created fuels. The fuels are produced through a variety of chemicals, gravation fields etc, so their is a great variety in fuel quaility. The higher the quaility the better the burn, the more power, the greater the cost, the lower the quaility, the cheaper the cost, less power. Due to the purity of the fuels and the intensity of the plants incineration process it actually produces very little pollution, however its common for the area to rain a lot around the plant.

Another popular choice is solar power, espeicaly on worlds with power atomsphere located close to suns. These things can even be launched into space on satellites, which catch the suns rays, store the energy and then beam it out to transmitter satellite when they get close. This is then transmitted to the recieving centre. The set up cost is a bit pricey but its most self sufficent afterwards and expansion is easy. The downside is that the satelits prove vunerable to enemy invasion and so must be recovered before inpending attacks.

Another choice is the Pyroclast Plant. This one has a pretty expensive setup cost depending on terrain. A massive hole is basicly bored through the surface of hte planet down towards its core. Over this a plant is built, harnessing the massive energys of the plants core. These plants produce trendenous amounts of power but tend to be high maintence and arnt good on unstable plants.

Next is the Collider Centre. These plants ususally have 8 seperate vaccum chamebers in which highly energised mocules are fired at one another and destroyed. The power from these explosions is harnessed and then sent into the super converter grav well in the centre. These plants are expensive to construction and maintain and security must be high as a plant explosion can be quiet damaging.

The ulimate in Techoren plants is the Quanteam Reactor. This plant takes energy generation to the next level and is commonly seen in the mightiest of Techoren Battleships. It invovles the use of Ionicly Phased Gravtion bars being placed in a specific formation with pratical accelrater pulses being perdicoaly fired into them casuing a cataylst reaction. The result appears to be a miniture son. These plants require the use of rare IPG bars, highly trained staff and regular maintence. Core failure has shattered a starship.

The Dark Jurai have made use of Star Trees, and commonly use these creatures to power there warships (at least paritaly) showing a relliance on the psionic might of these mysterous creatures. In some cases a Star tree could power a town, in others an entire city, it depends on the strength of the tree, but they can not cover large distances on there own, so psionic despenses must be used to help desperse the energy to relay stations. Trees require care, maintaince and protection from harmful parasities.

Another Dark Juraian plant are the Biovats centre. Here in large vats pools of great green goop are greated, a result of DJ genetic enginering. The living orginisms in the tubes are a plant/alge combination that is rich in eletrical and psionic energy. The pools are continually in flux, slowly being drained from the bottom, so the fresh matter can have its residue energies siphoned off, while old liquid is poored back into the top, topped up with additional chemicals and neutrients to sustain life. These plants are a bit disgusting, and require a bit of labour to run but are otherwise quiet cheap.

PsychoMegnetic Centre. These plants are a new addition for the DJ and quiet an impressive feat, though like all new technology it has a few bugs. It invovles the use of PyschoEmissive Crystals, powerful items created at great expense, these things must be well sheilded or will release harmful psionic energies into the minds of those nearby. They are placed around a PsychoAbsorbent crystal, which gathers up the released energy and then transmits it out to psionic sensetive relay stations. The result is a power source that can cross large distances without the need for bound media such as cables or wire. These centres are quiet expensive and very delicet.

Grav Flux Reactore. The greatest in Netomi technologies is not without mention. It consists of a void chamber surrounded by 6 smaller grav well spheres. The grav well spheres generate a protective barrier against the void chamber while also producing the power to initaly activate the void chamber. Within the void chamber is a tiny black hole, its chaotic energies being siphoned off for power. This chamber produces great powre but is dangerous to run and if damaged can implode voilently.
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

Very interesting, and it could form the basis for a wonderful final addition to the RP.

Another thing I've been mulling over is a player's guide, in the event that we ever have new players. As the lists of powers and races that we give new players is more limited than what is available, this need not be overly complex. I took a stab at this, and while far from perfect I believe I made a good start on it.

Another thing that I would like is a rundown on worlds important to the RP. Nethilis, Jurai, Dark Jurai, and The Sphere to start with, then others as we go along. My information on Nethilis is outdated and I believe it would be better served with an up-to-date rundown.

Another "flavor" item, which doesn't have to be extensive, is food. What are the major foods of each empire? Things like, synthetic food, or actual animals? What about unique vegetables?

Lastly, sports. What are the major sports of each empire? What sporting events do they hold? While each race will no doubt have its own preferences, what commonalities do the various races share? Would you find both Dark Juraian AND Techoren kick-boxers, for instance?
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

Another thing, the Dark Jurai armored vehicles need to be put down, there is an earlier post on Battle Movers, but it's a few years old and I believe things have changed.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

A players guide also helps out old players, since not everyone knows everything abuot all the races. I did however do a basic run down on the Empires and their subraces once before. I have considered going over things in more detail but have had issues deciding on what to include and what not. Ideas include

Races basic height ranges
Basic Hair / Eye colors
Basic description
Culture - A rehash of the various empires and races cultures and life styles. This would cover basic things such as DJ way of war, desire to be farmers, A simple description of what one can expect out of militry life or civilian life. It would also cover cultural ways or belifes. This covers things such as DJ openness to homosexuality, nudity etc. This section has the possbility of getting large and out of hand.
Clothing - This gives a general run down on the styles and cloths of that race. From possible materials to what a ballgown dress might be. Its only guidelines though, since we can assume cloths are imported cross culture.
Sports - A good way to form a social identify and give players an understanding of what leasiurly pass time might invovle. What sorts are popular to each race, what are they good at, and what do they admire.
Power - What powers are common for this Race, for example DJ have elementalists and Psions, Pariah have true Psions, Techoren have more basic style psions, Elves tend to wield magic.
Character concepts - Just a few basic examples of potential characters. This might be flawded though as every single player, with a desire to be unique, tends to go against whatever is common for a race. So Expect Elven assassins with sniper rilfes and Techoren Mages.

Worlds of the rp. It would be nice to have a list of the various worlds of note, but its harder than it sounds, since there should be a lot of worlds of note. I do have a plan to explain the various sectors of DJ space however.

DJ vechiles list? Only recebntly has it become very important, but that should be to hard as i've already got a strong idea what that list will look like.

Creating the Jurai is diffcult, since i dont know what that second energy type is.

A list of drugs is a good idea really. They can all have uses, with downsides, which could add some options and depth to the rp. Stay tuned for destoryed characters due to players recklessly using drugs refusing to believe their characters could ever be vunerable to their downsides.
AlisonPrime

Post by AlisonPrime »

Hmmmm Improvements eh? well, Since the RP is only comprised of 3 players at the moment, myself, Jason, and Tae, you should perhaps once in awhile, do player focused quests, make them feel important and happy they could solve the problem or task they were given, and no reason the others couldn't help them in their task.

A Rewards program of some sorts, where if a player goes above and beyond their normal capabilities for awhile, they are given a reward, an incentive to keep on doing the good job they were doing, this could be anything from a chance at a wing for a royalty member, to a new weapon for any other character, or an upgrade to their armament.

hrrmmmmm Some Drama, like you roleplay as characters we dont see or hear, but play out a scene which were given some insight into your madness...errr genius.

And last but not least.... try to encourage OOC comments to be made in the OOC channel.

Thats all i can think of at the moment.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

I completly agree with you about OOC comments in the OOC channel. I mean we all like to crack a laugh now and again (although it would be nice if these thigns where actually funny half the time) but it just fills the rp channel with spam.

While not cut scene per say i haver considered the idea of writing short (short) stories to portray certain events which palyers arnt directly invovled in. The Gaulcharus stories showed me though that most people just arnt interested in reading anything that doesnt invovle them. None the less it would be a good way to tell some tales, like maybe if the Emperor of Jurai was up to something. In either case these would be very small tales told in small pieces.

Another idea i had, while thinking about Jasons requests for a vechiles list, is to construct basic army lists for some races. Now that we have codex's containing the list of an armies military weapons and armor, its not a big step to create a list of soldiers and say what their armed with. It might give people a better feel for the units of each army.