Powers and Techinques

Moderator: Senshi Muyo

Mystic

Powers and Techinques

Post by Mystic »

This is not going to be complete and total, its more of a work in progress to be honest as the DM's try to develope an exact system. Hopefully though it gives players an idea on how things work.

First off a player has to choose a main power, in the old days this was easy, unfortuantly everyone wants something new and different, but there is a limition on good usuable ideas. When deciding your power reffer to the previous post about Power Creation, make sure it's balanced, fits into the rp and most inportantly has a path of progression. You'll become greatly desappointed with a power that does not inprove.

With that behind us the rest of this post reffers to indivdual powers and abilites, and the different types there of.

Abilites (also called Powers) can be broken into 3 very basic forms. Offensive, Defensive and Misc (something that is neither of the two previous types). Some abilties might be of Two types or different per player, Healing is an example. This is basicly a Misc, but strong healing could be considered Defensive (like Regeneration)

Examples:

Offensive: Beam Blades, Fireballs, Sonic Bombs, Disintergration Rays, Mind Control, Psychic Scream and Telekintic crush.

Defensive: Fire armor, Wind Walls, Ki Barriers, short range Teleports, Regeneration, Mind Shield and Power Reflection

Misc: Long range Teleportion, Telepathy, slow but effective healing, commcation with animals, scent, psychic visions and matter creation.

Powers also have different levels of strength. Its often reffered into in rp as a Charge, this takes so many rounds. Some powers, like a Beam Blade, dont requrie a charge, others like fireball are effective without a charge but become even more destructive when given one. Charging usualy never goes past 3 rounds unless a person is putting all there power into the ability.

Misc powers almost never require charging as they are used almost exulsivly outside of combat.

High End Techinques: These are usually very powerful attacks (at least for the level) and maybe more destructive than usualy allowed. The downside of these abilites is they always require some sort of charge and this process tends to leave the user in a position vunerablity. Thus they often used to end wounded opponents and not as an attack opener.

Fatal Techinques: These are some of the most devastating and near unstopplabe abilites around. They also come at the highest of prices. They unlesh powers similar to High End Techinques, some even surpassing them and often they do not requrie more than a minor charge. The exact process is uninque to Techinque, some requring a vast amount of charging, others very little, the risk is often related to the reward. One thing all Fatal Techinques share is the devasting cost, at best, it will nearly kill you and leave you in a coma (and thats from a perfect state of health), at worse? Somethings are far worse then Death. Make no mistake, Fatal Techinques are last ditch, all or nothing abilites, they are the one ability you hope never to have to use.

While i cannot say this list is complete i hope it helped players to better understand powers and how they work in the rp! Suggestions, comments, opinons are expected and appricated.
Anoron

Post by Anoron »

The aspect of techniques is to make something unique, but as Sarah said, and you should note, is that they have a price for being cool. While not all techniques require someone to expend a lot of time into them, the more time you spend the better you're able to control it.

When you guys are allowed to create a technique (players should only really have 1 of these till higher levels anyways, never having one at low level) it should be a little showy, and have an intresting name. Example would be Suteru's "Super Nova" (tm). Now it's not a real super nova, but its a concept of an explosion coming off of him.

A down side to making a technique is that it takes time to do, both in creating it and using it. It also requires you standing out there like a goof some of the time.

Fatal Techniques (tm) (r), are as Sarah noted, called this for a reason. This is your last ditch, you have nothing else to lose and you're already dead anyways. Fatal Techniques are not something you charge up, but do require a series of motions, or words to draw upon their power. The result is devistation, and most likely your characters death. It uses your soul to do this level of power, so it is likely you could burn your soul out of existance, ie there is no coming back...
Leila Dark Jurai
Site Admin

Post by Leila Dark Jurai »

An example of a fatal technique

<Pen-Pen> IN THE NAME OF ALL PENGUINS EVERYWHERE
<Pen-Pen> I CALL UPON THE POWER OF MY ANCESTORS
<Pen-Pen> MAY MY FOES BE OVERCOME BY OUR MIGHT
<Pen-Pen> FATAL TECHNIQUE! MILLION-PENGUINS-PECKING-TO-DEATH

Of course, each line effectively takes one round to do.
Kaosu

Post by Kaosu »

I've read the topic on power creation, however, what about techniques? What are the limitations?

Are techniques dependant on the person himself and nothing else? Or the person and his/her weapon.

For example, these are some things that I might want to see on Kokaku

---------

Kokaku sacrafices any sort of power in order to concentrate and enhance his physical prowess. However, a power like regeneration would benefit Kokaku quit a bit, since he is a close combat type character. However, he would generally not use any type of beam/fire form of attack. His main point is through his sword, which is what I'd like to focus on.

Any type of power/technique that this very subtle and has passive effects. For example, say a inner focus power or a technique that allows Kokaku's Zambatou to have more weight and power behind the swing, without sacraficing the speed of the swing.
Note: This isn't about the strength of the user rather than the power of the user. While strength helps to kill stuff faster, using a heavier sword will consume energy much faster also resulting in sometimes a swing when it comes to countering. However, Kokaku's theology is, while enemies dodge, it is still possible to parry/block Kokaku's swing and sometimes better to do so. The secret in order to crushing such defense is the weight behind the sword.

"None shall stand in the way of this sword with the weight of the gods behind it."

So in short, a power or skill that gives the person a weighted attacks without the downfall of having a even heavier sword.

The benefit of having this skill/power, is that it can progress alongside with you. Have more weight behind the swing, just depending on the proficieny that I have would have this power/skill.

--------

Another power would be perhaps to have a much sturdier body, like steel, like diamond, etc. This also would also be a supplement to his "run up to that giant over there and start swinging at his knees" type style fighting.

A lower end example of this power might be having tougher skin or a tougher skeletal frame.

As proficieny progresses, you could have the body simply becomming much tougher/stronger (more willing to take a beating and survive without broken bones and such.).

A high end example would be like a soldier's normal steel sword could cut open Kokaku and a normal soldier's hammer couldn't break his ribs.

The only downside to this is that once a spot is broken/cut open, it takes a extended period of time to heal the damage done. Perhaps to the point where it becomes a weakpoint until the wound is completely healed.
Also, it does take a amount of energy in order to stay in this form.

However, the result of a master of this skill would be the little energy taken and a just a little longer, if any, than normal healing methods in this RP.

---------

One possible high end power/technique would be ...

Hyper-sayian Berserker stage III~

While not exactly a serious name, if you can't figure it out, I do mean a improved berserker rage.

Something to the extremes. Extreme strength, extreme stamina, accelerated regeneration of types of damage.
However, Kokaku would not beable to maintain form for too long. It is more along the lines of a short-lived but hot-tempered second wind. Also, after the form is lost (effects worn off), the user is taxed with extreme energy loss.

There is no way to master this skill. It is powerful right off the bat, but has severe penalties after using it, espcially if you didn't finish everything off after the form wears off.

The only way to mask the effects of the form is either use it when you already have full energy or to become a stamina beast even more so than the current Kokaku. However, even with the latter (stamina beast), it only masks the effect. Instead of using it after in the middle of fighting (instead of the beginning), you won't be completely defenseless compared to if you had less stamina.

This isn't meant to replace berserk for Kokaku. It is more along the lines as a last stand (not last resort) measure.

-------------

Another example of a advanced skill or power.

Ryu no haretsu.

This technique requires a weapon of some sort (in this case, a zambatou). This puts energy within the sword for a small amount of time, usually right before a strike. Then when the sword has made point of contact, it will release all the energy at the point where the sword touched, thus resulting in a explosion.

Obviously, it takes energy and is slow to use at first.

A high level or masterful example would be control of the explosion size and power, also using the skill much more efficienctly.

This is a dangerous but effective skill to use. If the user has tons of power, yet little mastery of the skill he is using, then it will result in a very chaotic explosion sword and the large possibility of damaging himself. Yet, if he has excellent master of this skill and have little power, he would never damage himself or others, but could never impressive damage or even damage worth the skill's area effect.

So this skill reflects both the user's power and technique.

--------------------

This is the last example (for right now) of a possible skill. This would be a fatal technique, something I would never use ..However, just for showing you what kind of fatal technique kokaku would use, if he ever learn one.

Kokaku no misogi.

This is a very long procedure of words and hand motions that is something that would be a end all, to end everything. Depending on the user's total power to begin with (not current, but total).

Example.

Kokaku would point his sword (just for show, or possbility a buffer) towards or into a object. That object would become the catalyst that turns it into a type of black hole. It would absorb everything around it, break it up into energy until the black hole is filled. Once the black hole is filled, it'd release the energy all at once, to which after the initial explosion, the shockwave would be a wave of raining energy.

The technique is completely dependant on the user's initial total power and the object itself. Obvious a rock could be used, but it couldn't hold much energy. However, a planet for example could hold tons of energy.

The downside to this is the effectives are immediate and it can fail, if you try to invoke a object too big or just simply too much for your current power to handle.
However, the main point of this is destruction and area themed, rather than the ability to kill a single or a group of people.
If a person invoked a planet with this skill, it would absorb everything about the planet and try to break them down. Also, surrounding moons and planets (that have some sort of orbitation around the planet being invoked).

So this would be the damage assesment if something like this were to happen. If anything/anyone did manage to resist/protect themselves against the energy hole (regards to black hole), then they would be caught in the release of energy with the initial form a huge explosion. Then it in this case, the shockwave would be rain of energy would fire from a 360 degree on a speherical angle.

The degree of damage to anything it would be hit by would be catastrophic.

While this might not be effective of someone that simply could just blink out and away, the deadlyness of this relies on the fact that people could only guess what may happen next. As this is a 3 stage attack, it could possibly catch people offguard or unaware.

So from before, this is a do-as-much-damage-to-everything-as-possible, wether it is friend or foe. (Another downside)

Thus, why its called Kokaku no misogi.

I didn't get much sleep last night, so I might have used a few rheotorical statements, if so, I'm sorry.
Anoron

Post by Anoron »

Kaosu wrote: Any type of power/technique that this very subtle and has passive effects. For example, say a inner focus power or a technique that allows Kokaku's Zambatou to have more weight and power behind the swing, without sacraficing the speed of the swing.
Note: This isn't about the strength of the user rather than the power of the user. While strength helps to kill stuff faster, using a heavier sword will consume energy much faster also resulting in sometimes a swing when it comes to countering. However, Kokaku's theology is, while enemies dodge, it is still possible to parry/block Kokaku's swing and sometimes better to do so. The secret in order to crushing such defense is the weight behind the sword.

"None shall stand in the way of this sword with the weight of the gods behind it."

So in short, a power or skill that gives the person a weighted attacks without the downfall of having a even heavier sword.

The benefit of having this skill/power, is that it can progress alongside with you. Have more weight behind the swing, just depending on the proficieny that I have would have this power/skill.
This is the driving force behind the Omoi Ude "Heavy Arm" style. Why else would Kour be such a hellion with a sword that is almost twice his body size?

Post by Guest »

True, but I'm simply giving form to a power that supplements a style.

Simply by adding this, I can more easily measure and improve the way Kokaku's power is by using a sword (much like the zambatou).
Kaosu

Post by Kaosu »

That was me, somehow logged me off when I was typing up the message.
Mystic

Post by Mystic »

Most of those are pretty good examples. Inthe case of a power for Kokaku i'd probably gove iwth somewhat of c ombination of both. It offers more variety for devlopment. Psychial defence and aggress passive enhancements. Consider a bit more control on your rage, like boosting your strength or causing an adreline rush.

Techinques are hard to define or describe as they come in so many shapes and sizes. Usualy the bigger the bang the bigger the cost. Not to sure about black holng a planet though! Kinda cool sounding attack though.
Kaosu

Post by Kaosu »

Simply a example of the specifications in order to use that attack.

It could be a space station or a asteriod. Anything, as long as it retains some sort of matter.